Monday, June 05, 2006

Jamaica Me Happy

I sincerely believe that the only people who don't enjoy reggae are the people who are too uptight to get in touch with their ab muscles and hip flexors. I just tried to find a nice animated .gif of a gyal winin just to illustrate my point, but i failed. I'm over it though.

So there's a really dope store in NYC's Chinatown that you might not know about, called Deadly Dragon Sound. Last week, I went to one of their events to check out a live performance by Dancehall legend Carlton Livingston at Happy Endings,. You may remember Carlton Livingston from old-school hits such as Trodding Through The Jungle, and Rumors, and if you don't know...now ya know. Give the man a likkle listen.

I saw some familiar faces belonging to a few of the men behind the brands you know and love on DG, such as 10 Deep and King Stampede, but I won't be blowing up their spots because dis post is about the music. The place wasn't very crowded which was great for dancing and generally joyous patronage, and there was a very cool and relaxed vibe.

First up, some Japanese cats got up on the mic, and had the crowd going wild. I love the dedication of the Japanese. If I'd just heard these guys on say...an Audio Daily Double, I wouldn't have known they weren't Jamaican.
I got some video, but it was too dark for my camera to pick up anything unless other flashes were going off, so these video clips serve more for audio purposes.
Chekkit:
This guy


sounded like this:


and this guy

sounded like this



And then Carlton gyat up pon de mic and belted some lovely chunes.








Trodding Through The Jungle

and

Hot Summer (in new york, he sure got that right!)

and here's Carlton, the man of the hour, chillin with my boy K~Swift, of NYC based underground rap crew NRO. You should check them out.

We danced all night, broke some laws, and generally had a fantastic time. It was better than any lame open-bar party I've been to in at least a year. I thank the people of Deadly Dragon Sound for keepin it so real.

And don't forget, for your classic, and modern reggae needs.....check out Deadly Dragon Sound online
and at
102-B Forsyth Street
New York, NY 10002.
Located between Broome and Grand Street in Chinatown.
It is easily accessible by subway (B or D to Grand; J to Delancy, 6 to Canal).

Reggae helps ya fux real good. Memba'dat.
Booyakasha.
Respect every time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kangsta! said...

thanks for the info.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home